10.04.2021Amnesty For Residency/Work Permit/Student Permit Holders

Foreign nationals who are in the country with Residence, Work or Student permits will be able to renew their permits without having to leave the country and re-enter, if they apply to the Ministry before June 30, and they will not be subject to any penalties. Source: 'COVID-19 amnesty' for foreigners.


  • Persons who stay in the country with a "residence permit", those who have worked less than 6 months in their last place of work, whose work permit has been cancelled and whose legal 40 day post-work-permit period hasn't ended, will be able to benefit from the amnesty.  

  • Those who graduated from school with a student immigration permit and / or have left and whose legal visa period of 60 days has not expired after the termination, will also benefit.  

  • People who have entered the country with an ID card and whose legal visa period has not expired will also benefit without working (applies to before '2020 Foreigners and Immigration Policy' was implemented).  

  • Persons who have entered with a passport and whose legal visa has not expired will be able to get an exempt for the pre-permit period (until June 30, 2021), by acceptance of the date of application to the Office as the starting date of work.  

Note: Implication of amnesty for people with residency is unclear and clarification is being sought. 

Source: 'COVID-19 amnesty' for foreigners, Yeni Duzen Gazetesi

09.09 TRNC Interior Ministry Immigration Department announces extension of application time for people to apply for residency or a work permit. This applies to people who had valid permission to be here prior to March 13, and entered the country before September 10. These individuals have now been granted a 30 day extension, from September 10 to October 10 (dates included) and will not be penalised for applying during this period.

Entry to and exit from the TRNC is only via approved ports and borders with a valid passport or travel certificate.

Passport Validity Periods 

⦁    Citizens of countries without an embassy, consulate or representation, and citizens of non-EU countries must have a valid passport which expires more than 6 months after the date of departure from the TRNC.
⦁    Citizens of countries with an embassy, consulate or representation in the TRNC and citizens of the European Union countries must have a valid passport which expires more than 2 months after the date of departure from the TRNC 
⦁    Work permit Visa – people coming to the country with pre-permission (in accordance with the Law on The Leave of Work of Foreigners) can obtain a 30 days visa. This visa can only be issued to citizens of the country without a TRNC embassy, consulate or other representation who have a valid passport which expires more than 2 months after the date of departure from the TRNC 
⦁    Residence permits can be issued for a period up to 60 days before the expiry date of the passport.


Visa Length of Stay

⦁    Foreigners who have a valid residence permit for the TRNC or residence permit exemption certificate do not require a visa upon entry to the TRNC.
⦁    Your stay in TRNC with a visa cannot exceed 90 days at a time and you cannot stay more than 90 days in every rolling 180 days.
⦁    Foreigners will normally be issued with a 30 day visa, however this can be extended to a maximum visa of 90 days at border crossings and ports, if you can show you will leave the TRNC within the visa period and fulfil the relevant conditions explained below.
⦁    Citizens of the Republic of Armenia, the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Arab Republic of Syria must obtain a visa from the TRNC Representative Offices in their country, stating the purpose of the visit before arrival in the TRNC.

Foreigners applying for visas may be asked for information or documents in respect of your request to enter the country, at entry ports by the Immigration Officer. The Officer may wish to carry out comprehensive checks.

Note: Due to Covid-19, anyone who entered the country on a tourist visa will not be penalised for overstaying provided they either leave by October 10, 2020 or apply for temporary residency by that date.

Visa Types and Durations  


Tourism Visa


⦁    Any person entering the country for tourist purposes, including those staying at hotel or vacation accommodation (including people renting an apartment/villa), may be issued with a visa for up to 30 days.  If you present a paid booking certificate/receipt for your accommodation up to 90 days can be given.
⦁    Any person wishing to come and stay at a relative's house for a family/relative visit may be issued with a visa for up to 60 days, proof of the stay, such as an invitation letter is required.
⦁    Any person coming for official visits, business interviews, conferences, seminars, meetings, festivals, fairs, exhibitions, sporting events, cultural and artistic events, health tourism and similar purposes may be issued with a visa for up to 90 days.

Working Permit Visa


In accordance with the Foreign Employment Permits Act, persons who have come to the country with a preliminary permit are given a visa for a period of 30 days. Citizens of countries without a TRNC embassy, consulate or other representation must have a passport with at least 2 years before expiry of their passport on entry to the TRNC.

Business Establishment Visa


Foreigners coming to the country of start a business are given a 30 day visa provided they can show they have sufficient capital to establish a business.

Residence Permit Visa


The following types of visas may be issued to foreigners entering the country who plan to apply for a residence permit.

⦁    Visa for Family Residence Permit Application: if you are planning to apply for a family residence permit a visa for up to 90 days can be granted on arrival.
⦁    Visa due to Ownership of Immovable Property: If you show a title deed (Kocan) indicating you own a property a visa of up to 90 days can be issued.
⦁    Visa for Applying for Student Residence Permit: a 60 day visa can be issued on arrival if you provide a student registration or pre-registration certificate.
⦁    Judicial and Administrative Visa: if you come to the country upon the request or decisions of judicial or administrative authorities a visa for the term of your duty may be granted 
⦁    Visa for Scientific Research: if you come to the country for scientific research purposes a visa for the duration of the research may be granted.
⦁    Visa for Graduates from TRNC Universities: Students who have studied and graduated from any of the two-year higher education programs or have studied at least 3 years in any of the four-year higher education programs in the TRNC can be granted a visa valid for 30 days.

Internship, Course, Change program, In-Service Education Visa


Foreigners coming to the country for internships, courses, student exchange programs and in-service training can be granted a visa of up to 90 days if they provide documentary evidence.

Source: KKTC Içişleri Bakanlığı / TRNC Ministry of Interior


Please avoid abusive or defamatory comments, be respectful of other people and their opinions. Admin reserves the right to delete certain comments. If you are aware of offensive or malicious comments and/or behaviour, please notify admin through the website contact form.